Friday, June 24, 2011

RECAP: Houston's Funniest Person 2011 Contest at the Laff Spot!

Last night was the Houston’s Funniest Person 2011 Contest at the Laff Spot. I went, I laughed, and so it was INDEED worth the gas money.

First of all, I have great respect for everyone who participated in this contest. Being a comedian is TOUGH BUSINESS. The closest thing to a standup routine that I’ve ever personally done was fall off the stage at a Tommy Wiseau Q&A, and what each of the contests did last night was MUCH harder than the River Oaks Theater floor.  Especially considering that this contest is open to ANY Houstonian—even though it’s now technically held in Spring—and not just experienced comedians. I suspect that most, if not all, of the contestants last night have had previous experience on stage, but none of them were professionals , or at least have hit the “big times” in the comedic world. I laughed AT LEAST half of the time of each person’s set, and I can’t say that’s the case for a LOT of the comedians I’ve seen on Comedy Central (Carlos Mencia).
Anyway, I took some pictures last night. I used to be able to blame the poor quality of the pictures I take on having a shitty camera, but after investing in a $250 camera, I am going to have to accept that the problem is probably with me. =)

The host was 2010’s winner, Nathan Hosey. When I asked him if I could take a picture of him at the end of the night he thought I was just a creeper wanting it for my personal collection, but in reality I am just a creeper who wanted a picture because I knew I was going to write about him on the Internet.

He was funny so I am glad he had a longer set at the end of the night, and I wish him better luck with his career than what he has allegedly experienced since his win from last year. I especially loved his Presidential Slogans for each of the contestants. I’m not clever enough to come up with one for him, but if he ever ran for President he would admittedly have the votes of anyone Republican that is fifty-five years or older with that In the Heat of the Night reference.  

I am glad that I wasn’t a judge, because I wanted everyone to win. My voting style would have been similar to Paula Abdul’s— like her, I was also a little tipsy last night.
1998’s Funniest Person, John Wessling, announced the winners. He has found some success on Comedy Central and Last Comic Standing. I hope he isn’t really retiring, but if so then he will be a FANTASTIC Telemundo host (but never a great step-father).


The Winners:

1.       Theodore M.E. Taylor
He was VERY funny despite the shame he made me feel after realizing that I’ve been programmed (along with EVERY other Texan) to clap on queue during the song “Deep in the Heart of Texas”. I will also be stealing his NASA anecdote the next time someone from another state asks me if I ride horses to work/school.
2.       Mickey Housely
ALSO very funny! I can’t remember most of his jokes, because I was laughing so hard. My favorite part was when he turned the MIC stand into a spear. Don’t ask me WHY—you just should have been there!  Also, he looks much better than the only picture of him that I was able to take. Here is a cropped blurry close-up:
3.       Gerald Torregosa
Despite knowing that I’m sounding repetitive, he was… you guessed it… VERY FUNNY! As he pointed out, I, like apparently many people, have trouble pinpointing his ethnicity, but after last night I think I have figured it out. My math skills are slightly bad because I am both NOT Asian and a female, but after last night I now know that Gerald is 24% Vietnamese, 47% Chinese, 53% Samoan, and 176% Japanimation. He also taught me the importance of spell check with the rape vs. rap in the parking lot confusion that had me (unfortunately?) mentally picturing both happening at the same time. I hope he, along with every other contestant who didn’t win first place, enters again next year!

Stacy Anderson gets MAD PROPS (yes, I just typed “mad props”) for being the only female and the first person on stage. I agreed with her assessment of the difficulties of getting unwanted dating advice from women in relationships, and I now realize that I should be going on more dates because of the recession! Too bad I haven’t been on a date since the stock market crash of 1929. I could have been saving a LOT of money!
I LOVED the deep voice at the beginning of Adam Bob’s set! What was his slogan for the night again? I am sorry, but I can’t remember that shit, man.

Owen Dunn knows how to treat a girl right despite being broke, and Mark Hurtado knows that he is good choice for being humanity’s last hope… and he doesn’t mind a little rape to prove it.
Adam Castillo should continue to pursue his career as a sketch artist because I thought his drawings were spot on!

Ku Egenti understands that he has a very boring name. Ken Boyd and Albert DeLeon were also… FUNNY!
I’m glad I made the trip to the Laff Spot last night. I wish we could get some stand-up in Huntsville *HINT HINT*. If anyone IS interested in performing in Huntsville, then email us at info@heyhuntsvilletx.com. We have the hook-up on where to perform! Huntsville may not be as classy as the Laff Spot, but at least the drinks are cheaper!  JUST SAYIN’. =)

Click HERE to see a few more crappy pictures of this event on our Hey, Huntsville Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment